Our non-fiction shelves are the ultimate example of reduce, reuse, recycle. They were donated to our school from UAA decades ago, in all of their beige and orange glory:
They are now installed in the new library, and have been converted from free standing two-sided shelving to one-sided wall mounted shelves. They look brand new thanks to a fresh coat of powder coating. It’s been a complicated process, but everyone agrees they look amazing:
I’ve measured the linear feet of our existing collection a few (million) times to determine the shelving needs and layout in the new library. This was especially important because we have over 20,000 books that have temporarily been divided into three locations: high school temp library, middle school temp library, and storage. These measurements are essential to appropriately allocate shelf space when merging the collection back together. I created a table that mapped out exactly which Dewey range would fit on each section of shelving, which became our bible for this portion of the project.
This is how it looked after loading the non-fiction from the middle school temp library. Wow, what a difference some books make!
We did our best to estimate how many shelves to allocate for books that were still at the high school, but we still had to do a lot of shifting to make it fit appropriately. I’d like to once again say how thankful we are to all the ASD librarians who loaned us book carts. I can’t imagine how this would have worked without them!
Honestly, I can’t quit staring at it. It looks incredible! I’ve weeded the collection heavily, and between that and a fresh coat of paint this is a non-fiction section that screams “Check Me Out!” I don’t think it will ever look so tidy and organized again!
The next step is to plan the layout of the fiction shelves, but unfortunately they are still on a barge and won’t be here until late June. Despite this setback, I still believe we are on track to have this library open to students on the first day of school in August!